Hazy Mountain Vineyards is seeking a Viticulturist to join our growing team and oversee the management of our 75+ acres of estate vineyards. The role will involve the management of all aspects of the vineyard, vine health, fruit quality, crop management, planting, training, pruning and creating an adaptive spray program to be implemented. An ideal candidate is both dedicated & passionate about vineyard management. Someone who enjoys working in the vineyards and is constantly striving to improve fruit quality a well as vine health, so that we may produce the highest quality wines attainable.
Hazy Mountain Vineyards is a premiere winery in Virginia’s Monticello AVA. Our estate is spread across 2 sites in 2 separate micro climates 45 minutes apart with varieties planted being specific to each site. Our operation is growing rapidly to what will be a 20k case production of premium wines.
• Manage the day to day activities of the vineyard crew
• Specialized vineyard tasks to include: pruning, tying, suckering/shoot thinning, weeding, trellis maintenance, leaf & fruit thinning, and vineyard layout
• General landscaping work in an agricultural setting
• General light construction work in an agricultural setting
• Maintaining under row cover crops/ weed suppression
• Maintaining healthy crops/grass between rows and the perimeter immediately surrounding the vineyards
• The operation of tractors and tractor implements in order to accomplish various vineyard practices such as mowing, spraying, trimming, etc.
• Operate light equipment such as weed eaters and backpack sprayers when necessary.
• Inspect tractor and/or other equipment before operation and be responsible for notifying supervisor when in need of service or repair.
• Calibrate and use agricultural spray equipment and perform necessary adjustments.
• Perform light equipment maintenance as directed.
• Apply canopy and herbicide sprays following established safety procedures and instruction. Ability to get and maintain Virginia Pesticide Applicator Certification
• Perform various routine maintenance tasks such as trellis repair, hoeing, drainage repair, erosion control, site-preparation, etc.
• Formal education in viticulture or environmental horticulture is highly preferred
• Prefer experience on tractor and various attachments including: zero turn mower, hedger, sprayer, front loader
• Tractor maintenance ability a plus
• Working conditions in certain areas of the vineyard are cold, hot, wet, windy, slippery. Must be comfortable in inclement weather
• Some vineyard work involves exposure to hazardous conditions.
• Experience planting and training new vineyards.
• Experience creating your own spray program preferred
• Strong work ethic.
• High level of organization with excellent planning and project management skills.
• Excellent leadership skills, with strong knowledge of personnel supervision, procedural practice, and development.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Ability to work with winemaking team and consultants in finding the right vineyard practices to optimize fruit quality.
• Willingness to continue learning and bringing new ideas to your role.
• Must be highly organized and detail focused
• Ability to provide mentorship for new employees
• This position will be a leadership role and thus difficult leadership decisions will be required. Candidate must be comfortable making business decisions that can often be very difficult.
• Health Insurance - Company pays 75% of the premiums for employee/family
• Dental Insurance
• Vision Insurance
• Competitive vacation & holiday pay
• Supplemental insurance available (Aflac)
• Retirement plan - Company matches dollar-for-dollar up to 15%
• Short-term & long-term disability coverage
• Accidental death/dismemberment coverage
• Life insurance coverage
• Employee referral incentives
• Opportunities for advancement, professional development, training opportunities available
• Discounts on cell phone plans, rental vehicles, and other company discounts (if applicable)