Malbec Supplies is a family-run operation, and we have an exciting career opportunity for a head winemaker to join our dynamic team. Malbec Supplies is one of the fastest-growing wine companies in the country. We source grapes from the best AVAs in California, Washington State, and Oregon. More information can be found at www.MalbecSupplies.com
The head winemaker will be directly responsible for the day-to-day winemaking duties, including fermentation management, creation of work orders, and scheduling. A self-motivated, detail-oriented person who is hands-on in all aspects of winemaking. The head winemaker will manage the cellar team consisting of the head winemaker, assistant winemaker, and cellar help to support all winemaking activities for our production winery. The position will include a combination of hands-on duties, organizational skills, and collaboration with the team to meet projected goals.
• Plan production quantities with general manager/owners.
• Develop and maintain year-over-year winemaking, blending, and bottling plans for all wine programs, including red, white, and sparkling.
• Coordinate pre-bottling winemaking and wine blending activities to ensure that wines are prepared on time and within budget.
• Perform chemical analysis on wines and conduct lab work.
• Conduct all stages of wine production, including fermentation and filtrations.
• Create blends for and coordinate tasting trials.
• Keep state and federal records, as well as required in-house documents.
• Maintain inventories of all wine additives needed for winemaking.
• Maintain up-to-the-moment inventories of bulk and bottle wine
• Bottling line and basic winery machinery, upkeep, and repair knowledge.
• Participate in day-to-day cellar operations, cellar organization, and cleanliness.
• Keep informed about best practices and standard operating procedures to ensure wine quality, high productivity, and cost-effectiveness.
• Work closely with and lead assistant winemaker, interacting daily. Ensure that all daily and weekly wine activities such as bulk wine work orders, KMBS checks, and partial tank clean-up are being performed.
• Work across departments such as the cellar, bottling, and sales.
• Plan and execute vintage change.
• Maintain records of wine blending operations
• Coordinate activities related to wine shipping and receiving.
• Responsible for conducting evaluations, grading, and recommending treatments to ensure all wines fall within established guidelines.
• Additional winemaking – assist with special projects, including educational tastings and facility tours, as needed.
• Bachelor's degree in Enology or related, or a combination of education, training, Fermentation Science, Chemistry, and experience.
• 7 + years of winemaking experience plus hands-on experience working in a medium to a large-scale wine production facility.
• Experience with the winemaking process's practical and technical aspects and understanding of winemaking regulatory requirements. All aspects of harvest, fermentation, cellar work and winemaking analysis are included.
• RO & Crossflow Filtration knowledge a plus
• Operating strong forklift skills and pallet- jack other manual duties.
• Strong customer service abilities.
• Computer skills required, proficient in Word, Microsoft Word Excel, and Winemakers
• Strong problem-solving and deductive reasoning skills, accuracy, and attention to detail.
• Able and willing to climb and utilize stairs and ladders safely.
• Ability to work long hours and flexible days during the harvest period.
• Valid Driver's License and clean driving record.
• Follow instructions, respond to management direction; take responsibility for own actions; keep commitments; commit to long work hours when necessary to reach goals. Completes tasks on time or notifies the appropriate person with an alternate plan.
• Must be able to lift and/ or move up to 50lbs, and other physical duties are necessary.
• Able to sit and/or walk and stand for most of the day; twist, bend, crouch, extend and have the full range of motion in all varieties of physical movement.
• Working conditions in the winery can be cold, hot, wet, and possibly slippery and noisy.
Please note this job description is not designed to contain a complete listing of duties or responsibilities required of the head winemaker for this job. Duties and responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.
Sign-on bonuses and relocation reimbursement are negotiable.
Salary is negotiable with experience.
Send cover letter and resumé to Shawn@MalbecSupplies.com and include Head Winemaker in the subject line.