Job Description: Hospitality Director
The Hospitality Director is a mid-level sales and hospitality position influencing DTC programming and continued team success. This position supports the Owner and the Tasting Room Team. They help to design and implement service guidelines, staff wine education programs, operational procedures and policies to create memorable guest experiences. This position works closely with the Tasting Room Team on the floor to execute these experiences for guests with an approachable and engaging level of service that leads to increased sales and club conversion for the team.
Hospitality Sales & Service
• Sets the tone and pace for the team by providing exceptional customer service during tastings, tours and all aspects of the guest experience.
• Lead by example and directly manage Tasting Room Team to contribute to and maintain a positive, team-oriented and guest-welcoming work environment
• Greet all visitors, conducting guided tours and pouring wines for tasting; describing wines, winemaking techniques, winery history and provides general tourist information
• Educate customers about the uniqueness of our brand, including our winery history and vineyard
• Maintain a service-first and consultative approach to selling wine, and club memberships. Soft-sell approach requires an emphasis on building a connection to people, place and wines, and sales and enrollments will follow. Requires a deep understanding of how to pace an experience, provide opportunity for a purchase or enrollment to occur through presentation and education, and to ask for the sale.
• Adjust operations to capture and maintain customer information for future sales and marketing
• Set and document tasting room policies and procedures
• Creating accountability and adherence to tasting room policies and procedures.
• Responsible for opening and closing duties, set-up and break-down various tastings; includes washing and polishing glassware
• Handling routine purchase transactions, including operating cash register and accounting of daily sales and bank deposits
Additionally, This Position
• Is a lead trainer in onboarding new hires in the Tasting Room.
• Collaborate with owner to establish, monitor and achieve tasting room goals and metrics by developing innovative ways to drive sales, club signups, customer satisfaction and COGS management
• Supports all staff to ensure the best possible guest experience is being presented by the team
• Acting as a Brand Ambassador and assisting at special functions, interactive tasting experiences and on and off-site events
• Manage all Tasting Room operations including staffing and scheduling, efficiently and proactively balancing operations with labor resources.
• Audits Tasting Room wine inventory weekly whilst maintaining and restocking supplies. Establishes inventory receiving and storage procedures.
• Maintains adequate supplies of branded collateral, ordering supplies and reprints where needed, maintains adequate stock of retail packaging – boxes, bags, tissue, etc.
• Assist with reservations and visit requests via phone and email; enter information into reservation and customer databases
• Outreach activities to wineries, restaurants and lodging to promote traffic to the tasting room
Private Client Sales and Customer Service
• Process and monitor orders to ensure compliance with customer shipping requests/requirements
• Respond to member/consumer inquiries in accordance with service standards and in a manner that furthers our relationship with our members
• Maintain accurate data and records of contacts and transactions including new member signups
• Perform administrative duties as required, including data input, research, assisting with bulk mailings, etc.
• Perform wine club coordinator activities - includes seasonal club processing, collateral/inserts
• Support all aspects of the wine club and mailing list releases
• Send thank you notes and gifts
• Provide support to owner as needed to support initiatives for retail sales channel through hosting tastings and events, leading educational discussions and developing sales and training collateral
• Coordinate on-site visits for trade and wholesale groups
• Create and develop individualized and custom tasting experiences for VIP, trade and wholesale agents when requested
The Successful Candidate Will Have:
• An entrepreneurial mindset and a can-do attitude
• Prior management experience in service profession – winery, restaurant or retail in a service and sales capacity.
• Knowledge of wine, winemaking and/or wine culture.
• Dynamic sales skills with the ability to meet goals
• Experience in building and coaching teams to success with an emphasis on both achieving goals and fostering high morale - able to build rapport and inspire trust
• Exceptional hospitality and communication skills to deliver a world-class guest experience; preferred approach is joyful, down-to-earth, gracious hospitality
• Strong ability to resolve customer complaints
• The ability to handle high volume work load and prioritize effectively, while maintaining attention to detail
• Event planning skills
• Strong organizational skills with proficiency in understanding and executing instructions
• Able to act independently to solve problems as they occur and implement corrective actions
• Self-motivated and team-oriented, able to work independently and take the initiative
• Positive professional demeanor
• Computer proficiency (POS systems, MS Office, Reservations Software, Social Channels)
• Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds on an intermittent basis
• Ability to work in a standing and/or walking position for long periods of time
• Ability to effectively stock wine and non-wine merchandise, set-up and break down structures, tables, etc.
Reports To: Owner